Wednesday, May 11, 2016

La Calera

A rancho is a small village. My small village is called "La Calera" and its about an hour or so to the closest city. 
On monday we went to the school to see what we could help with. The school is actually pretty large and has 6 grades..each grade has 2 classes of 40 students each. We talked to the principal of the school about what we could help out with. I expected him to just let us observe classes or maybe tutor some kids. When he learned I was studying psychology he said "great! we need a school psychologist! that can be you!". He told me to talk to the teachers about their troubled students and then to give therapy to them and their parents. When I am done with that he wants me to teach parenting and discipline classes to the teachers and parents. Its incredibly intimidating and obviously I'm super underqualified. I wanted to say no and do something safer but the principal acted like it was a great need and if I do my best I shouldnt do any harm. At the very least I can at least be a friend to the troubled students. The principal was pretty funny though and called us "angels from heaven". Abbey will be teaching english class here. 

Monday evening we went to some political event with our mama Rosa. She knows some top political people here in the state of guanajuato. They wanted to take pictures with us and I was worried we were going to have to give a speech. One of the governor people invited us to their house to ride their horses or something. Sometimes I feel like a celebrity here. And people are a lot nicer when I am here just doing service and not as a missionary. 
We also went to a store in the city with Rosa. She is very protective of us and will not let us go anywhere by ourselves. Not even the bathroom (when we are in the city). She also buys us treats all the time. She bought me an ice cream yesterday and when I had finished she asked if I wanted another. I said no but that made her mad and she got me another one anyways. She spoils us a lot and calls us her "white daughters". We feel like little girls just following her around and eating ice cream. But its fun. She is the sweetest! 
She thinks that we are abandoned children and cannot believe that we live so far from home. All her daughters still live with her and will never leave. She just thinks its the cruelest thing that we were "sent" so far away to study and then all the way here to Mexico. She takes her role of our "mom" very seriously. She feeds us like 6 meals a day and is always checking on us making sure that we are safe. She sends her grandchildren to spy on us when we are in the street. 

Yesterday was mothers day here and its a huge celebration! They celebrated the entire weekend! We went to a festival at the school and watched all the children dress up and do these traditional dances. It was adorable. After all the 13 grandchildren and 5 daughters and us went to go get ice cream. We rode in the back of the truck to get there..all of us. Its a miracle people dont die here more oftan. 

The food is amazing as always. I love just playing with the babies all day and feeding all the goats and pigs. I've gotten used to the roosters in the morning and to only drinking coke (clean water is hard to find). I have almost memorized everyones names and can walk the rancho without getting too lost. I'm also getting used to the heat and becoming okay with always being sweaty and just covered in dirt and sand. Its hard work living here but I enjoy it. The babies are seriously so adorable!!

No comments:

Post a Comment